Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Ephesians 6:1, Colossians 3:20

Ignite IBS
(1) Ephesians 6:1, (2) Colossians 3:20
(1) Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right.
(2) Children, be obedient to your parents in all things, for this is well pleasing to the Lord.

Pretty much everyone has heard this. It's one of the ten commandments and it's said all the time but it's not really used these days. I was always raised that if I didn't listen to my parents, I paid the consequences, everything from swats to running down our long driveway to a bunch of push-ups. It sucked at the time, but looking back, it's exactly what I needed most of the time. My dad has always said this thing since I was a little kid, "Kids need constant praise, constant discipline, and constant praise."  Kids need the discipline. Honestly, I think they crave it. At my home back in Oklahoma, my little cousins have been staying at our house alot. They didn't grow up with a dad, every father figure they've had is just which ever guy was with their mom at the time. They're 13 year old twins and they're really smart kids, they just really dont know it because no ones ever told them. They've never had to obey their parents. My dad saw that they needed a father figure made the plan for them to come stay with us. When they're at our house they work, they listen and obey or pay the consequences. The reason I say that kids crave discipline is because they want structure. I can see it in my cousins that they love being in a home with rules and structure better than doing whatever they want. I know that sounds weird and even though they won't admit it, I still believe it.

Application.

No comments:

Post a Comment